Saturday, August 9, 2008

Norwegian Experience Trip: Final Thoughts from Marcia Stein

We've been home for almost a week, but my family and I are still talking about all the things we saw and the things we wanted to see if we went back again. This trips was so amazing for me--I had always wanted to go to Norway, and might have gotten there eventually, but I know that trip never would have compared to the trip I got from the Norwegian Experience contest! I can't thank Viking, Sons of Norway and Borton enough! This was a marvelous trip that I never would have taken on my own! I'm glad to be home, but there's a part of me that wishes I was still there.

Now that I've been home for a bit, I've had some time to reflect on everything I saw. I could list off my favorite places and activities, but the list would be endless so I'll say this:
Norway is such a beautiful country and its close to my heart because my grandparents emigrated from there and I spent many summers as a youth with them at their farm in Minnesota. A pretty place, to be sure, but it doesn't compare to the beauty of Norway. Also, everything I saw was so meaningful. From the fjords and coasts to the statues and fountains in the cities, everything had a special meaning to it, which is different from where I live (here they're trying to build a statue of Fonzie!). I guess its the history of the country and all the stories that give these things meaning. I can't say enough about it!

All in all, it was an experience unlike any other. I've never done anything like this before and I can't say enough good things about my experience. Thank you so much to Sons of Norway and Borton Overseas!

No comments: