Thursday, February 12, 2009

More on Norwegian Names in the March Viking

If you dug yesterday's post from Colin about Norwegian name statistics, then you are gonna LOVE the March Viking! I just got a sneak preview of an article coming out next month with even more info about boys and girls name trends in Norway and it's super interesting. It's written by none other than Louis Janus, coordinator of the LCTL program at the University of Minnesota.

It's going to be pretty cool, showing popular names from the late 19th and early 20th century. I'm not going to give away anything, but I will comment on one thing I found to be very interesting. In looking at the lists of popular boys and girls names from the aforementioned time periods, I know at least one person with each of the names from the late 19th century list. However I'm hard pressed to think of anyone I know with any of the names from the list for the early 20th century list.

Kinda makes you wonder if there's a calculable cycle to children's names, doesn't it? Either way, make sure to check out the March issue of Viking for this great story!

No comments: