Thursday, March 12, 2009

Today in History: Gustav Vigeland

On this day in 1943 Norway mourned the passing of one of its most well-known artists, Gustav Vigeland.

Vigeland was born in a small coastal town, called Mandal, and raised by a family of artisans and craftsmen. As a young man, he was sent to Oslo to learn the art of wood carving, which would eventually be the foundation for his later works in stone. These later works included contributions to the restoration of the Nidaros Cathedral, and the many pieces that would eventually become Vigeland Park.

I've never had the opportunity to visit Vigeland Park. Something I will severly regret on my deathbed, should I never get the chance. Photos alone are enough evoke strong emotional reactions. I can't imagine what it must be like to see them in real life. If anyone has a story they'd like to share about their experiences in Vigeland Park, please feel free to leave a comment below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frognerparken was one of my favorite places growing up. In the summer, I spent a lot of time at The Fountain playing in the water and running up and down the steps. By far, the most profound experience for me was standing at the foot of The Monolith. It is larger than life and so very beautiful. Such intricate detail with the images of the people embracing and woven together. At sunset, light and shadow merge and
it's as if The Monolith comes alive. Absolutely breathtaking.....

No trip to Frognerparken is complete without a visit with Sinnataggen. He is irresistable and such a cutey! Every time I went by Sinnataggen I had to make a face back at him. I just had to. In the wintertime, he sports a little cropping of "white hair" on his head, too. And you know, he looks so so real.

I really hope you get to fulfill your dream of visiting Vigeland some day. You'll never forget it.

Erik Evans said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It sounds like such a magical place. I've added it to the ever expanding list of places I need to see before I die.

If anyone else would like to describe their experiences, I'd love to hear about them!