Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hostfest 2009: Opening Day

The first day of Høstfest is always exciting for me because there's this charge in the air. All the attendees have a spring in their step and all the booth workers are still fresh-faced and full of enthusiasm. In my opinion its the best day of the whole festival. To prove that, I was already out there for a couple hourse this morning, even though I wasn't scheduled until 5 p.m.

I'm glad I went, too, because it gave me a chance to see some of my favorite folks who I only get to see once or twice a year. I think a lot of people who come to Minot every year have the same experience--they get to meet up with friends who live far, far away and spend a week reaffirming their friendships and strengthening connections. This is important, I think, because it helps to reinforce connections with heritage and culture. It also provides a soapbox from which people can yell at the top of their lungs "I'm Norwegian and I love it!"

I think the reason this is such an interesting thing to me is because of my Gen X upbringing. My generation doesn't get worked up about much of anything, so seeing 60,000 people getting all jazzed about their heritage is a real wonder to me. I can't wait to go back this afternoon!

Later today and throughout the week, I'll be posting some photos, video and tweeting from the festival grounds (I got me hooked up with a press pass!). So, keep checking back here and at www.twitter.com/sonsofnorway.

No comments: