Monday, May 21, 2012

Sherrill "Swede" Swenson

It’s with great sadness and a real sense of grief that I must share with you, today, the loss of one of our own. This past Saturday, after a prolonged illness, Sherrill Swenson (81) passed away in his home surrounded by loved ones, including his devoted wife, Dee.

Sherrill, or Swede as many of us knew him, was one of the most dedicated and determined Sons of Norway members I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. His devotion to his lodge, his district and the organization as a whole ran deep and it showed in actions as a District 6 president and, later, as an International Director. In the decade or so the I knew him, I came to respect his forthrightness and the strength of his convictions. He was never one to shy away from debate and always made decisions based on what he believed was best for the organization, not simply what the popular decision might have been.

It’s a rare thing to come across someone like that nowadays and I feel very lucky to have known Swede if even for only a few years. I hope you’ll join me today in mourning his loss and celebrating his life.

Also, a scholarship fund has been set up in Swede’s name through Solbakken lodge 6-064. If you’d like to make a contribution, please call Sons of Norway and we can give you the information for where contributions can be sent.

No comments: