Monday, May 7, 2012

Sons of Norway Remembers Alexander Dale Oen.

Last week the world learned of the tragic death of Norwegian Olympian Alexander Dale Oen. On April 30th , while participating in his national team’s training camp in Arizona, he was found unconscious in his hotel bathroom after having suffered a cardiac arrest. At the same time, the Olympics, Norway and the world of competitive swimming lost one of their brightest stars.

Oen’s list of accomplishments included medals in the FINA Shour Course World Championships, European Swimming Championships, European Short Course Championships, Summer Olympics and, most recently, a gold medal at the 2011 World Championships.

Recently Sons of Norway had interviewed Oen for a Viking magazine segment meant to lead in to the summer Olympics. From his comments, it was clear to see that his family and his country were things he held closest to his heart. We at Sons of Norway feel his recent comments stand as a testimony to his character and the legacy he left behind and want to share some of them with you.

“In my free time, I try to spend as much time as possible with family and friends.”

“My brother has been the greatest influence in my career. He always cheered me up with a smile, even if my races were not good. He was always the one who woke me up in the morning so that I wouldn’t miss practice.”

“It’s always an honor to be able to represent Norway and carry the flag on my shoulder. My mindset for the Olympic Games is all about having great fun, and to push myself past every limit, both mentally and physically.”

On behalf of all Sons of Norway members our thoughts are with Oen’s family as they get through this most difficult time.



No comments: