Monday, July 9, 2012

Coming Soon to Viking: Sami Education

I just finished writing a feature on the history of Sami education for the September issue of Viking. While doing my research, I was reminded of some of the great resources available out there. This video, called "We are the Sami," is found on the website of Galdu: The Resource Centre for the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. I first came across this site a couple of years ago when I was helping my daughter do some research for a school project.



After learning about Galdu, I was fortunate to hear its founder, Sami rights pioneer Magne Ove Varsi, when he spoke at St. Olaf College last year. His lecture on the rights of indigenous people around the world is still available on the St. Olaf website.

On a lighter topic: Did you know that the Sami hold their own Grand Prix music contest each year in Kautokeino, Norway? The winner goes on to represent the Sami in Liet International, an annual festival for musicians who speak Europe's minority languages. Just for fun, here's a link to the winner for 2012, Inger Karoline Gaup.

Stay tuned—you can read about the history of Sami education in the September issue of Viking!

Amy Boxrud is editor of Viking magazine. She lives with her family in Northfield, Minn., where she’s a member of Nordmarka 1-585. 

No comments: