Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Award-Winning Actress

Photo by Robyn Skjoldborg

In the November issue of Viking, we caught up with award-winning actress Ingrid Bolsø Berdal. She has appeared in Norwegian television shows and films, including “Hellfjord” and “Cold Prey”—which earned Berdal an Amanda Award for Best Actress. Now, she’s transitioning to the American market. Perhaps you’ve seen her in “Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.” Look for her in next summer’s film, “Hercules: The Thracian Wars.” Here’s more of our interview.

Viking: You attended the Oslo National Academy of Dramatic Arts and started working in The Norwegian Theatre. Did that give you a good foundation for your career?

Ingrid Bolsø Berdal: Yes, of course. The education I got from the drama school was very thorough. It was three hard and intense years, and I learned a lot not only about acting, but also about myself. I'm so grateful I got to spend four years at The Norwegian Theatre, too. It gave me great experience and a good base for the work to come. I learned so much from watching and working with my colleagues.

V: You’ve played roles on stage, on television and in films. Do you have a favorite type of role?
IBB: I can't say that I have. We tell stories about people, and people are so different. I thrive the most when I'm surrounded by a creative team that I communicate well with. I love when everyone works toward the same goal and collaborates. The story should be interesting, that's the most important thing to me.

V: What has been the highlight of your career so far?
IBB: I'm really happy about a physical monologue I did a couple of years back. It was such a tough process. Preparing alone and being alone on stage was hard on many levels. But it went really well, and I'm actually astonished that I managed to pull through.

V: What are your future goals?
IBB: I wish to continue to do both theatre and film. I learn so much every time I do theatre. I get better as an actor. I love the rehearsal period, but unfortunately I tend to start getting bored playing the shows after a while, and that's a bit silly when the shows are what the audience pay money for and want to see! Luckily you can continue working on the scenes on stage if you have fun people that you're acting with. Film is faster, but then again we do the scenes once and then it is there on film forever. There’s no chance to develop more. I'd love to get to the place where I can chose what I want to do on a longer scale.

V: What do you enjoy doing in your leisure time?
IBB: I play the bass in a hobby band. It's four guys and me—they are the best guys in the world! When I'm outside of Norway working I miss them so much. It's more like a club than a band.  And I really enjoy hanging out with my girlfriends. They are shining lights in my life.

V: Who are some actors you admire?
IBB: I was gobsmacked by Ian McShane's work in "Deadwood."


Anya Britzius is associate managing editor of Viking. She lives in Minneapolis, Minn., and enjoys baking, reading and keeping up on modern Norwegian trends.

No comments: